Snowshoeing book club members find chair in the middle of the woods!

Snowshoeing book club members find chair in the middle of the woods!

 

Just returned home from our book club meeting.  It’s far too close to bedtime to be writing an intelligent blog.  But will try to do “literary” justice to the experience.

Between 7-12 of us meet about once every couple months to discuss books.  At least we allegedly meet to discuss books.  I would estimate we spend 25% of our time together sharing books and the remaining 75% socializing.  A potluck highlights the evening, of course.  But tonight we did something a little different:  five of us went snowshoeing before the meeting.

We usually take turns visiting each others homes.  Tonight Jennifer hosted the gathering.  (She’s been too busy to attend book club recently, so we were all delighted to reconnect with her.)  We all strapped on our snowshoes, prepared to hike in the snowy woods.

Nancy's wooden snowshoes

Nancy's wooden snowshoes

All of us sported the light aluminum snowshoes except Nancy.  She later announced she would be buying a new pair before the next hike.  Her boots refused to stay firmly in the straps.

We wandered through the very snowy woods for awhile, enjoying the beautiful cedar trees.  No real trail marked our walk, so we occasionally ducked under branches.  Suddenly, to the left, an old chair appeared, sitting covered with snow out in the middle of the woods.  Of course the book club mentality set in and we opted for a photo shoot with our members pretending to read a book.  Jennifer is holding an actual book (and you may wonder how a book appeared in our hands out on the hike?  Actually it is a datebook or calendar, but it served as an appropriate photo prop.)  For anyone who’s interested the snowshoers in the above photo are Sue, Joanne, Nancy and Jennifer. 

The snowy woods through which we snowshoed

The snowy woods through which we snowshoed

At our last meeting in December we rolled dice fast and furiously, attempting to win our preferred wrapped book.  No one knew anything about the books we tried to win.  If you rolled doubles, you chose the wrapped book.  If the next person rolled doubles, she could choose another book or steal your book from you.  This is our traditional Christmas book club fun. 

Thus, this meeting we discussed the books we won in the dice-throwing games.  I won “The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society” in December and enthusiastically recommended it to our readers. 

We debated for a long time about next club’s selection.  Finally we chose “The Good Earth” by Pearl S. Buck.  I think I may have read it a few decades ago, but it’s a classic.  So will look forward to reading this again for our April meeting.

Let’s hope there’s not enough snow to snowshoe by then…

Advertisements